South Shore (CA)
Camp Richardson, CA
- Type Parks & Beaches
- Region South Shore (CA)
Features: Nestled against a backdrop of native pine trees, beautifully groomed Pope Beach in South Lake Tahoe is a great family beach destination equipped with picnic tables and BBQ grills. Parking requires a nominal fee, but biking and hiking into the site is free and available during all seasons.
Why We Go: Not as crowded and raucous as nearby Zephyr Cove except on rare weekends, Pope Beach in South Lake Tahoe is a great family activity for the day.
- Value: Besides the $7 parking fee during the summer when the United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service operates the beach, Pope Beach Tahoe is a free proposition.
- Relaxation: The wind is shielded by the trees and the trek from the parking lot is very short at Pope Beach Tahoe. Everything is set up for a relaxing day without any worries but bringing the perfect picnic basket.
- Bring Your Own Beer: Alcoholic beverages are allowed at Pope Beach in South Lake Tahoe, with the exception of bottled drinks.
Inside Knowledge: A food truck usually parks in the nearby lot serving pizza and hot dogs, while a nearby deli offers great sandwiches which you can buy to-go and take back to Pope Beach Tahoe.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Bring the Whole Family: The peaceful tranquility of Pope Beach Lake Tahoe is suitable for all ages, and ideal for family outings.
- Do Walk to a Nearby Eatery: Several options for lunch or dinner are available within walking distance of Pope Beach Tahoe, including Beacon Bar & Grill.
- Don't Bring Your Dog: Canines are prohibited from enjoying Pope Beach Tahoe.
- Don't Try to Swim: The water temperature is frigid at Pope Beach South Shore Tahoe, so swimming is probably out of the question except for the bravest and most extreme swimmers.
Pope Beach Information
When to Go:
Pope Beach Tahoe is closed for the winter starting on Oct. 15 for cars, but access by bike and walking is still allowed.
- Pope Beach Tahoe parking is available for $7, or alternatively accessible by bike.
- Pope Beach Tahoe provides complimentary BBQ stations and picnic tables.
- Although the water is generally much too cold for swimming at Pope Beach Lake Tahoe, the picturesque views and intimate scenery are hard to beat.
Camp Richardson, CA
Need a place to eat in South Shore (CA)
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0 out of 5 Stars
0.0% recommended it
Pope Beach Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!
Fun things to do in South Shore (CA)
Pope Beach Hotel
Other hotels in South Shore (CA).
*Some images shown above are not actual photos from the attraction, but category representations. Visit the web site for actual photos.