Old Truckee Jail Museum
Truckee / Donner
Location10142 Jibboom Street
- Type Museums & Historical Sites
- Region Truckee / Donner
Features: Old Jail Museum Truckee takes you back in time to when the American West was wild. Truckee Donner Historical Society preserves this old building full of Truckee history.
Why We Go: Old Truckee Jail Museum keeps secrets and stories within its walls. Who stayed here? What did they do to end up in this prison? Only a visit to Old Jail Museum Truckee will uncover these murderous mysteries.
- The Building: Thirty-two inch thick walls. No windows except for the smallest vents for air. Steel bars covering each air vent. Scared yet? The prison's design aimed to make people shake and tremble in their boots.
- The Artifacts: The treasure trove of artifacts here might make you want to steal something. The exhibits are that cool.
- The Stories: You really want to come here for the stories. Simply ask and the docents will regale you with wild stories. You'll hear about the barroom brawls, the rough-and-tumble life, and the legendary criminals who landed themselves in the slammer.
Inside Knowledge: Truckee Donner Historical Society built a pretty garden behind the Old Jail Museum Truckee in 2000. The Community Memorial Garden Truckee is now a popular place to picnic.
Do's and Don'ts:
- Do Pack Your Lunch: Bring a big sandwich, crispy chips, and refreshing water with you. After you've toured the Old Jail Museum Truckee, you can eat your food in the Community Memorial Garden Truckee.
- Do Bring Your Fluffy Friend: If you've always wanted to hang out with your dog near a prison, bring him along and relax in the garden together. He'll have to wait for you outside while you go into the Old Truckee Jail Museum.
- Don't Forget To Have Cash: Old Jail Museum Truckee offers free admission to the public. If you'd like to make a donation, however, you can generously give $2 per person or $4 per family.
- Don't Stop By On A Weekday: Don't drive here only to find that it's closed. Old Jail Museum Truckee is open on weekends (during the summer) from 11am to 4pm.
Old Truckee Jail Museum
Old Truckee Jail Museum Information
Sat.- Sun. 11am- 4pm
When to Go:
- Old Truckee Jail Museum housed several notorious persons in its time.
- Old Jail Museum Truckee was financed by nineteen citizens who each paid $25 towards construction funds.
- Truckee Donner Historical Society preserves one of the few Wild West jailhouses still standing today.
10142 Jibboom Street
Truckee, CA 96160
Need a place to eat in Truckee / Donner
User Average ReviewOverall:
Based on 0 reviews
0.0 out of 5 Stars
0.0% recommended it
Old Truckee Jail Museum Reviews
There are currently no reviews!
Be the first to write a review!